Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Multiple Bum-Weeees :-(

I guess it was going to happen sooner or later......

It must have been the lunch at the local Paratha restaurant in Delhi (see pictures below). It was recommended by Time Out, would you believe, so we popped along saturday afternoon and had dahl and Paratha bread (kind of like chappatti but fried in oil) all for about 50p and not another westerner in the place. Jo decided hers was too hot so I finished hers off.

Me in the "restaurant"...

The kitchen....


This was (particularly for me) a VERY low point in our travels so far (even after the ski nightmare). For the last 3 days we have been weeeeing out of our bums (sorry for the squeemish amongst you).

It all started to happen in Agra, on monday we booked into a dingy little hotel but it had great views of the Taj Mahal. Jo started to get worrying rumblings and had to head to the loo sharpish. I was feeling pretty smug thinking I had got away with it, but 2 hours later I followed suit. We both lay in our room just staring into space not moving or saying anything.

I decided to get up and fetch some water as we were running low. My eyes whited over and I started to feel very sick, I managed to get to the bathroom thinking I was about to puke. I realised it was coming from the other end. I then started to sweat, beads of sweat appeared on my face and in my eyes within seconds. I felt really hot so I slipped onto the floor where it was at least a little cooler and wet from the shower. Not sure what happened next but Jo woke me saying "did you just faint" ?

She ran off to get water, like a total legend and I just lay there. I couldn't see anything, just white-out (luckily I had been through this before when my uni house-mate cooked us some dodgy sausages one night so I knew it was food poisoning and nothing worse).

I managed to turn the cold water tap on on the wall and lay under the cold water, fully clothed, just trying to cool down. I suddenly got worried about Jo thinking maybe she had also fainted when fetching water so I tried to call out but had no energy to even shout.
Jo got back with water and I suddenly felt really cold, I had uncontrollable shivers and violent shakes so I lay under the duvet and kept hyperventilating and shaking, this lasted for about an hour.

Jo was an absolute soldier throughout until she got caught short trying to get to the loo...!!
I had a headache for about 12 hours.

It is now wednesday and I still haven't eaten a meal. Jo has managed 2 burgers with fries and a pizza.

We headed off to Varanasi on tuesday on an overnight train, now that was a test of the sphincter. Driving through the crowds in a tuk tuk I suddenly really started to notice the blokes just pissing at the sides of the road, and the spitting they all do regularly, the stench of the raw sewage just trickling down either side of the road and just the general rancid smell of the place. Jo retched at the station because of the smell of stale urine that oozes out of every corner.

So if any of you are thinking of visiting India in the near future, please take on board the fact that it is a rancid festering sh*t-hole.....maybe in a couple of days I will see the funny side and fall back in love with it....((when the antibiotics set in) (Jo hasn't taken any, she wants her body recover of its own acord, did I mention she was a legend)).....
G x

No comments: