Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I'm working too.....honest!!!

As Dad pointed out it looks like Graham is the only one working, so figured I should add my two-penny worth...

We are loving it here - it took a few days to settle in at first - there are so many people to get to know with confusing names and we spent a few days trying to find out how things work, understand the different projects and work out how to be of any use. The charity has done amazing things and our initial impressions were that it would be hard to help given the amount they have achieved already... but there is still lots to do and so many different ways to be involved. It is great to to be based here for a while and the people are really friendly and welcoming (went to swimming coaches house for din dins on saturday which was an interesting experience!).

Like G, I am also spending the mornings in the pre-school with the iccle ones - singing nursery rhymes, counting to 10, doing the alphabet - not exactly taxing but lots of fun... they are massively cute (when they aren't crying that is!). G and I are gonna to hire a mini bus next week and take them on a school trip to the turtle sanctuary (no Mum, no health and safety issues here!). Have also been asked by one of the English teachers to help on alternate mornings at his pre-school in another village, as unlike this village they haven't had any volunteers before.

Am also helping teach the English classes for the older kids because their spoken English is limited (the schools focus on reading and writing). Not sure why the obession with nursery rhymes but the teacher asked me to teach them some - so have just come back from singing "If you're happy and you know it" to a class of 40 12 year olds, I think they thought I was crazy (surely 12 is too old for nursery rhymes!). They are uber keen though and one by one at the end they came to bow at mine and the teachers feet (poor kids... must remember to wash my feet before the next lesson!)

The charity does lots of other stuff too - all of the projects were set up in a hurry during the frenzy of post-tsunami activity, so a big thing now is making sure that projects are running properly and ensuring that momentum is maintained. One of the main things I have been asked to do is review the projects and make recommendations for improving systems and processes as well as suggesting new ideas - not that I really have a clue... I they saw that I worked for a consultancy and clearly thought I know more than I do! So I have been working with the different areas to help make improvements - including mental health (lots of post traumatic stress following the tsunami), English classes, the pre-school, children's activity clubs and the women's centre (where they train women in things like sewing, cooking etc. to help them set up their own businesses). Am also looking at HR stuff and making recommendations for engaging staff more (it is starting to feel like work work!).

The last thing I am doing is looking into ways to get more volunteers (anyone keen!) and putting together information for potential new volunteers - as there was lots of info that would have liked to have been told when we arrived.

So thats me! Have been surfing a few more times too - am determined to turn myself into a proper surfer, although can't say the learning curve is as steep as I hoped it would be! Eating is also a major part of my day - the food here is aaaamazing.

Graham has officially turned into a fish.

Hope all is well back home, Love Jo x

No comments: